A classic climb. Coffee. A castle. A grand descent. Vineyards. Another spectacular climb. A second castle.
Bigfoot, of the Dirty Freehub gang, describes this ride as the best during his three weeks of riding in the Galician region of Spain.
The ride begins with a rolling 20+ miles, followed by a climb of Alto de A Moa (8.4 km with an average grade of 8%), followed by a meandering downhill into Castro Caldelas. While there get a coffee and make a stop at the castle. Enjoy the “sweet” descent down to the Rio Sil followed by a gorgeous climb out through the vineyards. Finish the ride in Monforte de Lemos and visit the Medieval Fortress of Monforte.
– Loop: 56 miles / 6600 ft gain
– Location: Monforte de Lemos / Galicia region of Spain
– Date Posted / Updated: ~June 2016
– Terrain: Some rolling, two significant climbs, one major descent.
– Pavement: Back country roads and local transit roads. Pavement is mostly smooth and fast, with some sections of light chip seal.
– Traffic: Little.
Monforte de Lemos, at the Medieval Fortress.
**Food / Water
For General information on riding in Galicia, see our blog post.
**GPX Track File
Click to download.
Click “View Full Route” in the upper left of the graphic for full screen display and various downloadable GPS file types. For help with Ride, GPS files, etc. see the “Help with …” page.