Ancares Climb (West)

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Big! Demanding!  And … tremendous views that only get better the higher you climb. You will climb and descend 9000+ ft in just under 50 miles.

This route was used in the 2012 Vuelta a España and won by Joaquím Rodríguez. This ride is a great test piece.

(Below, two routes are documented.  The out and back ride was personally ridden by the Dirty Freehub gang and what this ride review is based on. The loop ride is just about the same length and same amount of ascent, but be forewarned that we did not ride this route. However, if you do ride this route, we would be interested in your thoughts and feedback.)

**Road Ride
– Out & Back: 50 miles / 9000+ ft gain
– Location: Riberia / Galicia region of Spain
– Date Posted / Updated: ~June 2016

**Difficulty
– Terrain: Ancares is essentially two consecutive climbs. The first ascent is 10km at 6.7%. The second ascent is 12km long with an average gradient of 7.8%, including numerous stretches of 14% and 15%. There is short section of down, up, down between the two climbs.
– Pavement: Mostly back country roads.  ~ 60 % of the pavement is smooth and fast, the other 40% varies between light chip seal to broken and difficult.
– Traffic: Very little.

**The Start
Navia de Suarana, along the main road in town.

**Food / Water
Near the top of the climb (~ mile 21) at Balouta there is a “hotel rural” that has food and water.

**More Info
For General information on riding in Galicia, see our blog post.

**GPX Track File
1) Out and Back route: Click to download.
2
) Loop route: Click to download.


Click “View Full Route” in the upper left of the graphic for full screen display and various downloadable GPS file types. For help with Ride, GPS files, etc. see the “Help with …” page.

Out & Back Route


Loop Route

Leave a Reply