The Dirty Freehub gang (Captain O and GravelGirl) are excited to announce two rides on Sunday, July 5th, 2015. The GravelCracker 60 and the GravelCracker 80. Each of these rides will explore the beautiful Camp Sherman area. Highlights include riding the “shoulder of Black Butte”, the Metolius river (including the Head of the Metolius), and the Wizard Falls fish hatchery. The “60” also has a stop at Cinder Butte lookout and the “80” includes Round Lake and Suttle Lake.
The “80” is a more demanding ride than just 20 miles as compared to the “60” — twice as much gravel / dirt road, 2000 ft more of elevation gain, and a 6 mile stretch of single track. The “60” is a good entry level gravel ride. It has several climbs, but no climb is more than 800 ft continuous vertical.
The rides are free, “unsupported” rides. There are food and water stops along the way. Maps with turn by turn directions will be made available at the start. You are welcome to ride with the ride leader or ride at your own pace. But, remember, there is no technical assistance on this ride and you are responsible for yourself. Most of the time you are at most 10 miles from town (i.e. Sisters, Camp Sherman, or Black Butte).
The preferred bike for both of these rides is a gravel specific or cyclocross bike with ~ 35 mm tires. For the GravelCracker 60 you have a lot of pavement where a mountain bike will slow you down considerably. For both rides, the gravel / dirt roads are demanding, thus only those really experienced with a road bike and 28 mm tires should give it a go.
– When: July 5th, 2015
– Time: 6:15 ride briefing / 6:30 begin ride (this is a change)
– Meet at: Sisters City Park / Creekside Park (at the intersection of E. Jefferson Ave and S. Locust Street)
– Led by: Gravel Girl (on her test ride the course took about 5 hours, 20 min ride time)
– Route: 60 miles / 4 gravel sectors (12, 6, 2, 9) at 29 miles total / 3800 ft of gain
– Food / Water at miles: 21.5 and 39
– Water only at mile: 26 and 55
– Led by: Captain O
– Route: 82 miles / 5 sectors (12, 2, 12, 18, 9) at 53 miles total / 5300 ft of gain (Captain O ride time 6 hours, 20 minutes)
– Food / Water at miles: 25 and 63
– Water only at miles: 30, 63 and 77