Imagine the year 1843, joining Chief Billy Chinook as he guided you with John Freemont and Kit Carson through this amazing area: exceptional views of the Cascades and Lake Billy Chinook.
These are quiet roads, a mixture of road and gravel and a mixture of terrain. From woods to grasslands. And the route includes a stop at the ghost town cemetery of Grandview. It’s a big ride, an all day adventure. You will sleep well after this one!
**Adventure / Gravel Route
– Loop: 67 miles / 3800 ft gain
– Mixed route: ~ 50% gravel / dirt road, 3 sectors
– Rideable: Spring thru Fall. Summer can be hot. Early fall it can be dusty (i.e. “moon dust”).
– Location: Sisters, Oregon
– Route author: Captain “O”
– Date posted: April 2015 (updated October, 2018)
Intermediate / advanced. Due to distance and elevation gain. Also, a tricky descent of 1000 feet in 4 miles.
Creekside City Park in Sisters, OR. Flush toilets and water across the foot bridge.
**Food / Water
(a) Water at the fire station at ~mile 40. Note that they have given us permission to grab water out of the hose if they aren’t around. (b) Food and water at Lake Chinook Village store. Just before mile 42, instead of turning right, continue on the pavement for another mile or so to Lake Chinook Village store (241 SW Jordan Rd / 541-420-3704).
**GPX Track File
Click to download