A scenic tour of the Porto do Son region via a demanding ride that is never flat. Gravel Girl gives this ride a 5 star rating. Serra da Barbanza.
The ride starts in Villa Porto do Son and immediately climbs to the top of Mount Anxe. A climb of 1800 feet in 4.6 miles. The views from the top are worth the effort. The ride then wanders through the lands of Porto do Son going up and down, past streams, windmills, rock outcroppings and farms. You finish with a fun 4 mile descent that brings big views of the coast.
This ride is a great introduction to the Barbanza peninsula.
– Double Loop / Dumbbell: 25 miles / 3500 ft gain
– Location: Porto do Son / Galicia region of Spain
– Date Posted / Updated: ~June 2016
– Terrain: The route is demanding, always up or down. There are two extended climbs where the average grade is ~ 8 percent.
– Pavement: Farm roads / back country roads. Quality is generally light chip seal with some dimpling.
– Traffic: Very little.
Villa Porto do Son. Parking is available in town, along the play park near the harbor.
**Food / Water
None. The town plaza in the center of Porto do Son has several places for coffee.
For General information on riding in Galicia, see our blog post.
**GPX Track File
Click to download
Click “View Full Route” in the upper left of the graphic for full screen display and various downloadable GPS file types. For help with Ride, GPS files, etc. see the “Help with …” page.