Experience some of the hidden treasures in the Madras / Culver area. From start to finish:
- ride along the rugged eastern shores of Lake Simtustus
- gradually climb up and through Willow Creek canyon going from gravel road to double track to single track
- ride up and over the “M” Hill on a bike path, a pitch of 20%
- explore the farm lands of the area
- ride on the rim above Lake Billy Chinook
- ride up and nearly over Round Butte
- and take on the steep, but beautiful descent back down to Lake Simtustus
Note, at the entrance to Willow Creek trail you will see signs stating “no trespassing”. Jefferson County has easement rights *to the dirt road for those on foot, bike or horseback, thus use of the dirt road up to and past Canyon Kids camp is legal and permitted.
Adventure / Gravel Route
– Lollipop: 41 miles / 3000 ft gain
– Style: Mixed (2 gravel sectors, 4.1 miles total / 1 double track –> single track sector, 6 miles total)
– Location: ~ 15 min from Madras, OR
– Date Posted: August 2017 (updated September 2018)
Intermediate / Advanced. This ride does not have a lot of adventure sectors (3), but they can be technically demanding – some double track, some single track, possibly loose, maybe rutted and some larger rocks (softball sized or better) and some up / down pitches in excess of 10 %. A ride for technically proficient rides.
The gravel pull-out at the intersection of Highway 26 and NW Pelton Dam road.
Food / Water
@ mile 24, the Cove General store. Note, the store is seasonal. Open mid-May to mid-September.
Red = paved road
Brown = gravel / dirt road
Blue = single-track